14th February. 1965
The day has finally
arrived, I’ve been waiting in anticipation for this big trip. I am excited to travel around New South Wales
for fourteen days with Charles Perkins and 28 other University students
experiencing how other people live. I have only ever lived in Sydney and my
family and I never travelled as we can never afford it. So for me it I can
hardly believe that I am going to visit twenty-one towns in New South Wales
over the next fourteen days. All going
well, our 3200km journey will end in Sydney on the 26th February.
Our trip has been inspired
by "Martin Luther King’s examples of non-violent direct
action."(Wheel of Change, 2011). The
purpose of our trip is to achieve two goals.
- To raise awareness about the poorness of living conditions for Aboriginal people, the lack of education and paid work available to them and the serious health problems they suffer from.
- To minimse the 'social barrier' between Aboriginal and white people.
We elected Charles Perkins
as the president of the 'Student Action for Aboriginals' (SAFA) in 1964. Charles
has played a big role in getting our bus trip up and running.
It has been a long few days
travelling in the bus, driving through and stopping to visit the towns of
Orange, Wellington, Dubbo and Gulargambone. What a relief, we have finally
arrived at Walgett, one of the main stops on our Freedom Ride trip.
Walgett certainly isn't the
way I imaged it, having never left Sydney before, I didn’t know what to expect,
but certainly thought that it would look more like home.
Instead dry, dead grass and
shack looking houses surround our bus.
Looking at the houses, I’m sure they would leak when it rains. A long dirt road going straight through the
middle of town is something new to me.
It’s been amazing how much I have noticed the difference between my
living environments to the Aboriginal people here.
Walgett will be home for
the next couple of nights, before we head to Moree on the 16th
February. Tomorrow we are planning to
conduct a protest outside of the local R.S.L. targeting racial
discrimination. Following this I hope to
interview local people and survey them about what they know and understand
about discrimination against Aboriginal people.
I’ve read some information before coming on this trip, and I am looking
forward to learning more.
I strongly believe in equal
rights for all people regardless of race or religion, and I am sure that I am
going to meet people here that agree and disagree.
I haven't been banned from
anywhere before but I can begin to imagine the feeling. If I was banned from a
local area such as the town pool or cafe I would feel left out and alone, as
though everyone wanted to have fun, but with out me there.
Can you imagine being
banned from most clubs, swimming pools, cafes, cinemas and local town houses
just like Aboriginal people were? How
would it make you feel? How might you respond?
If you believe in equal
rights for all people and want to have your say, I’d encourage you to come down
to the local R.S.L tomorrow from 12 noon and join in our protest.
The local R.S.L is known
for excluding Aboriginal ex- servicemen, clearly unfair and unjust.
We need your support! Help
us win this protest, and stand up for equal rights for Aboriginal people! It is only fair if we are all treated equally!
![]() |
| Aboriginal Poor Housing (Curpheymedia.com, 2015) |
References:
Sydney University Museums News,. (2011). The Wheels of Change. Retrieved 15 June 2015, from http://sydney.edu.au/senate/documents/Students/Freedom_Ride_2.pdf
Indigenousrights.net.au,. (2015). Collaborating for Indigenous Rights 1957-1973. Retrieved 15 June 2015, from http://indigenousrights.net.au/civil_rights/freedom_ride,_1965
Charles Perkins and the Freedom Rides,. (2015). Freedom Rides. Retrieved 15 June 2015, from http://perkinsforfreedom.weebly.com/freedom-rides.html
Curpheymedia.com,. (2015). Freedom Ride Followups | Curphey Media. Retrieved 15 June 2015, from http://www.curpheymedia.com/?page_id=65

i can't believe that people got so angry over them going in the pool. aboriginals should have the same rights as every one else
ReplyDelete